Just a note on overpopulation and all that jazz in the light of the One Child Policy in China. I was just having a discussion with my mom and Alan over our smorgasbord (spelling more than questionable) about overpopulation. We were discussing (i was getting schooled in) the One Child Policy and its many consequences. It was brought up because Alan, an importer of many chinese goods in the form of halloween costumes and easter/ christmas gizmos, mentioned a meeting he had earlier with someone my mother (his wife) knew. She asked how he was and to that Alan replied; nervous, like other chinese factory owners. Schockingly there seems to be a shortage of workers in China. I wondered if it was because there are only so many people from each generation, and Alan added that the people of newer generations also do not want to work in the factories. These children it seem are spoiled, as they get all the attention when they're younger. Usually there would be a lot of children because of chore and agriculture needs. Chinese culture then included a 'respect the elders' emphasis and a necessity to share. Now with only one child it seems that less people feel an incentive to share, and similarly a lack of inspiration to take care of the parents especially when the one child has to take all the weight of supporting two parents. Working in a factory wont exactly cut it.
Also it seems since China is male dominant, some of the women choose to abort if they know the baby is going to be a girl. Consequently, there seems to be more males then women. This is good for population control, but not so good for all those lonley men reaching and then passing "marrying age".
My mom commented after that maybe China should take in refugees from Sudan and employ them in the factory to give them a 'better' life away from rape and plunder.
Last note or 2: I strongly suggest that anyone reading this try guava in any form (fruit, jelly, candy...) and if possible get your hands on a whole fruit- they smell delicious.
Hong Kong so far is one huge shopping mall. My very first impression was that the buildings looked like sallactites. It reminded me of superman, and the fast growing kryptonite land OR a cave ceiling as a floor.
ok maybe 3: I've seen some misty mountains. They are the back drop to panasonic, toshiba, motorala, lg, and sony buildings...
[This post is by Maddy, not The W]
the only easy day was yesterday
- ► 2008 (74)
- but why male models?
- im too lazy to actually say anythig
- La Di Da Di
- what should've been. the real super bowl xli, sept...
- its not about joey
- Drop Sneakers Not Bombs
- Thursday will see the 10th aniversarry of the dea...
- From Today's Paper
- peta sent me a self righteous email
- I Have No Idea What To Name This Post.
- dude can jump
- Vick Jukes Legal Blitz
- Plato's Opinion
- some fun thoughts and a few thoughts that came to ...
- This or That
- An Inspired and Complete Meditation on Alchohol, a...
- The Academy
- You Want The Truth? YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
- Battle in the Bay
- The Michael Vick Experience
- New Shits
- Sean Taylor, Sing it Brother
- You, yea you.
- The Possesive Glare
- Paved Paradise/Atomism 2k7
- Goin' Dumb Like The Ringer
- Just Knowin' That the World is Round
- Is Reason Reasonable?
- Of what avail is the proud outcry?
- I Love Football
- The Rational Latte
- Over Population
- The Trolley Problem
- I want to see you when you finally figure out what...
- This sign warning residents of the South Sudan cap...
- and if i wasnt, then why would i say i am
- ▼ August (40)