Lately I've been reflecting on how I've gotten to where I am now in terms of political views, morality, and identity (among other things). Throughout my life I've been free to come to a lot of conclusions on my own (regarding the aforementioned aspects of me). My parents have not been overly dogmatic, which I think has allowed me to reach my unique positions. However, here is my conflict. How will I allow for my future children's intellectual independence, when I myself will have come across beliefs (in the realm of politics, morality, and identity...) which I will wish that they carry on to the next generation?
ex. If I push Yiddishism on them, will they reject it in adolescence and accept assimilation? In the same thread, if I let them form opinions on their own, and their views end up differing from my own, I will still lose (in regard to what I have believed to be "right").
My Mom's Dad, was an orthodox Jewish immigrant from Poland (via Cuba, where he was a Rabbi). He kept a kosher house, however when his children (my mom and two uncles) left that household as adults, they embraced non-kosher food immediately, which translated to their respected children (well at least 8/9 of them). Among my Mom and Uncles there was that need to rebel following years of "repression"(?).
Surely the next generation should benefit from the accumulated "knowledge" of the previous, but also be able to make new realizations on their own. Should not these new realizations be based on a solid foundation from the previous generation?...but then how will that previous generation dilute its dogmatism (as to not inspire rebel behavior among the youth)?
the only easy day was yesterday
- ► 2008 (74)
- but why male models?
- im too lazy to actually say anythig
- La Di Da Di
- what should've been. the real super bowl xli, sept...
- its not about joey
- Drop Sneakers Not Bombs
- Thursday will see the 10th aniversarry of the dea...
- From Today's Paper
- peta sent me a self righteous email
- I Have No Idea What To Name This Post.
- dude can jump
- Vick Jukes Legal Blitz
- Plato's Opinion
- some fun thoughts and a few thoughts that came to ...
- This or That
- An Inspired and Complete Meditation on Alchohol, a...
- The Academy
- You Want The Truth? YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
- Battle in the Bay
- The Michael Vick Experience
- New Shits
- Sean Taylor, Sing it Brother
- You, yea you.
- The Possesive Glare
- Paved Paradise/Atomism 2k7
- Goin' Dumb Like The Ringer
- Just Knowin' That the World is Round
- Is Reason Reasonable?
- Of what avail is the proud outcry?
- I Love Football
- The Rational Latte
- Over Population
- The Trolley Problem
- I want to see you when you finally figure out what...
- This sign warning residents of the South Sudan cap...
- and if i wasnt, then why would i say i am
- ▼ August (40)