the only easy day was yesterday

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Education, Shmeducation

So I just keep doing this thinking thing, and it makes me want to keep on doing this posting thing...

Today (or maybe yesterday), I was doing it and I came across the problem of the teacher student relationship, when I was talking to my neighbor, who happened to be my 6th grade art teacher (she moved in a few years after that). The aloof and entirely inhuman relationship between teacher and student in contemporary America may be a large contributor to the mass disrespect of knowledge and education among the youth. I have a normal relationship as I would with any other neighbor with this woman, but thats what got me thinking, it didn't seem to be like that when I was a student. This is partialy becasue as a teacher, and also the person responsible for the children during the time alotted, one needs to maintain a certain amount of order in a classroom so that it doesn't get out of hand. To me though, if a love of education is naturally presented as one of the more honorable human pursuits to children, and the teachers can be more humane throughout the educational process, allowing freedom of choice to the children, and presenting mature ideas to them, all while promoting their own intellectual independence, and never teaching anything as truths, keeping things 'in hand' wouldn't be an issue; we all work on the same general brain chemistry, thats what makes us human, so if we can all be presented with these easy thoughts and opportunities, then this may be possible. I think now my mind strays to the young human minds want to cling to something as truth or reality so that in its perceptions of whatever this reality we all seem to see is it doesn't go insane and die - could this be a result of evolution, our mind keeping us from going insane - or is this not even an issue? Do we only kcling to certain meanings as children because that is what our society dictates to us? Is the young human mind able to understand and handle the concept of philisophical ambiguity of truth and reality?

Pick it apart, do what you want with it, stream of consciousness usually doesn't work out to well for me, but I keep tryin anyway...

J this is a topic I'm sure you're well versed in, lets hear it....

No comments: