the only easy day was yesterday
Sunday, July 15, 2007
To laugh, or not to laugh?
There's a commercial running for an espn cell phone sports updater at the moment that poses to me a tough question. If you aren't familiar with the commercial the gist is: a man is being interviewed as if he had just finished some sort of professional sport, when in actuality he was at his daughters ballet recital watching sports updates on his cell phone - when asked if experience played a part in his performance he responds "Yea, we've been to two dance recitals this year; you really learn from that kind of boredom". The question it poses - which I may myself have an answer for, but nonetheless think it's a topic worth discussing - is whether this commercial is cementing bad ideas in the minds of the people who see it, or if the the commedy should be appreciated - it is pretty well done, i just don't know if I should laugh. On the one hand, I don't care much for ballet, so it does bore me and I wouldn't much want my daughter participating in such an activity unless she had a full appreciation of the process and evolution of the art of dancing and how ballet came to be and still wanted to do it, but she would be six and not have nearly the brain capacity for that. On the other hand at face value, which is what the subconscious of the morons of the world will absorb, it is teaching people not to appreciate the actions of our fellow human beings, the creations and the doings of our children; teaching us to write them off as boring unless it fits into our own slim and dogmatic perspective. Is it good, or bad?
- ► 2008 (74)
- Education, Shmeducation
- Remembrance of Posts Past
- For Francis...
- Archie probably doesn't care anymore
- I was just thinkin' I shoulda thought
- A sad(der) day for Falcons fans...
- Sportsnation makes me want to cry
- We all stupid, dumb ditty dumb?
- A man is judged by the company he keeps...
- On Men and Morals
- Aint nobody love me 'less Im broke niggas, lord fo...
- "The hottest places is in hell are reserved for th...
- The lessons you read are not your own, she taught ...
- I found that the men most in repute were all but t...
- Goin dumb like we're in special ed...
- To laugh, or not to laugh?
- Give it up for the dead guy knowing what he's talk...
- We love money...and narcissism!
- Todays News
- My Purpose
- ▼ July (22)