this is my way of studying for my philosophy finals. im just gonna write shit on the topics i get too, for whatever class im studying for. if you read, let me know if its clear or if it needs clarification at any point. theyre pretty elementary things for the most part, so imagine you know nothing, i have a bad habit of presupposing terms and things that i easily understand...
Individual Relativism is a theory of truth characterized by the statement "if one believes something it is true" (or, less formally, "if you believe it it's true). The practical result of individual relativism leads to two relatively obvious absurdities, and then one nail-in-the-coffin objection. The first fairly obvious absurdity that results from individual relativism is that, if everyone's beliefs are all true, then there could be no false belief, that is, everyone's beliefs are true they are always right, they cannot be false. Secondly, if there can be no false belief, and no one can be wrong in their beliefs, there will necessarily be conflicting beliefs; if Shaq believes he was fouled, and Antwan Jameson believes that he did not foul Shaq, if individual relativism is true, they are both right, but how can that be (hint: it can't). The final problem with individual relativism is that if someone were to believe that the theory itself was false it would necessarily be true by virtue of the fact that it is true. Realistically, if it were true, i don't believe it is, so it isn't true. It's garbage.
the only easy day was yesterday
- ► 2008 (74)
- Believe You Me
- don't tell your philosophy professor you're into e...
- Tips Up Hoes Down (Thats like a triple entendre, m...
- Book It
- a more recent picture does the hilarity more just...
- step out, show me whatchu all about
- new shits
- another essay idea. im busy, so for now: temporali...
- skepticism and descartes
- God Arguments and Such
- Facticity and the Evolution of Human Consciouness
- From the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Cash Rules Everything Around Me...
- Knicks 94, Nets 86; 49ers 20, Bengals 13
- Justified True Belief
- Runnin' It up
- Ethics, Now
- Might Even Be Cooler Than iTunes U
- Three Theories of Truth
- Individual Relativism
- Individual Relativism
- two germans and a scott
- shut up
- To Those About to Bop, We Salute You
- For the sake of not having to text message the who...
- A Story for the Grandkids
- "could it be said that mortality is the capacity f...
- ▼ December (31)